New York City Region
- About Us
- Programs & Services
- Partner Schools
- Local Board
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Contact Us
In New York City, PowerMyLearning has partnered with more than 100 schools and served more than 100,000 students, families, and teachers since 1999. We leverage digital learning to transform schools in low-income communities, promote educational equity, and help students excel in school.
Our program supports schools through professional development and family engagement services. Our professional development helps educators integrate new instructional approaches and deepen school-home connections. Our family engagement services empower parents to become stronger learning partners for their children, and also provides families with free home learning center computers. This comprehensive approach helps students take full ownership of their learning and puts them on the path to academic and lifelong success.
By providing key tools, training and support, our programs and services are designed to foster growth in teachers as instructional leaders, in parents as support partners, and in students as learners who can meet the challenge of high academic standards.
Learn more about our Program & Services and how you can become a partner school.
New York City Partner Schools (2015-16)
- Academy of Public Relations (X298)
- Biondi Elementary School (Leake & Watts Services, Inc.)
- East Flatbush Community Research School (K581)
- Frederick Douglass Academy III Secondary School (X517)
- I.S. 61 Leonardo Da Vinci (Q061)
- I.S. 96 Seth Low (K096)
- I.S. 528 Bea Fuller Rodgers (M528)
- J.H.S. 62 Ditmas (K062)
- M.S. 223 The Laboratory School of Finance and Technology (X223)
- M.S. 250 West Side Collaborative Middle School (M250)
- P.S. 31 William T. Davis (R031)
- P.S. 89 Elmhurst (Q089)
- P.S./I.S. 116 William C. Hughley (Q116)
- P.S. 188 The Island School (M188)
- Riverdale Avenue Middle School (K668)
- South Bronx Preparatory: A College Board School (X221)
- The Young Women’s Leadership School of the Bronx (X568)
- The Equity Project Charter School (TEP) (M430)
- Thomas C. Giordano Middle School 45 (X045)
Monica Verma, Chair
Senior Vice President, PIMCO
Principal, Albert Leonard Middle School
Michelle R. Ferguson
Senior Vice President, Global Workplace Strategies and Services, McGraw Hill Financial
Associate, The Carlyle Group
T. Annie Knickman
Doctor of Education Leadership Candidate, Harvard Graduate School of Education
Managing Director, Goldman Sachs
CIO of Enterprise Infrastructure, Morgan Stanley
Chief Operating Officer, Capalino+Company
Elizabeth oversees operations, development activities, and PowerMyLearning’s programs and services in New York City, while strengthening relationships with community partners, school districts, and political leaders. Prior to joining PowerMyLearning in 2013, Elizabeth served as the Director of Education Programs for New York Cares, where her team implemented over 8,500 educational volunteer projects each year, in partnership with hundreds of schools and agencies in New York City. A former New York City Teaching Fellow, Elizabeth also taught sixth and eighth grade Math at a high-needs public school in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. Elizabeth holds an M.S. in Teaching – Adolescent Education from Pace University and a B.A. in History from New York University.
Senior Logistics Manager
Juan oversees our equipment strategy in New York City. Juan has been with PowerMyLearning since 2002, and has taken on many roles over the years to ensure our families receive high-quality Home Learning Centers from PowerMyLearning. Currently, Juan leads our New York City warehouse team and manages our computer refurbishing processes, giving donated computers a meaningful second life. Juan holds his Associates in Computer Networking from LaGuardia Community College.
Senior Program Manager, Family Engagement
Shaunte leads PowerMyLearning’s Family Engagement Services in New York City and works closely with the Professional Development team to coordinate high quality programming for each school partner. Shaunte and her team run PowerMyLearning’s Family Learning Workshops, and works with schools to come up with creative ways to engage parents in their child’s learning. Before joining PowerMyLearning in 2012, Shaunte was a High School Prep Advisor at KIPP to College, mentoring and guiding students through the high school application process. She previously worked at A Better Chance, an organization that advocates for students of color to receive better educational and leadership opportunities. Shaunte holds a B.A. in Psychology from SUNY Plattsburgh.
Director of Programs
Erin is responsible for leading the successful implementation of PowerMyLearning’s programs in New York City, including deepening PowerMyLearning’s impact with school leaders, teachers, and direct work with families and students. Erin started at PowerMyLearning in 2011 as a Program Manager, overseeing the successful implementation of our family engagement initiatives; from 2012-2016 she worked as a Blended Learning Consultant to support teachers in our partner schools to leverage technology in the classrooms. Before joining PowerMyLearning, Erin taught chemistry, physics, and general science to students in Central Harlem and the South Bronx for four years. During this time she served as a Department Leader, a Grade-Team Leader, and a Teach For America corps member. Erin holds a B.S. in Chemistry from the University of Southern California and an M.S. in Teaching from Pace University.
- Barker Welfare Foundation
- The Booth Ferris Foundation
- Carnegie Corporation of New York
- Change Happens Foundation
- The Frances L. & Edwin L. Cummings Memorial Fund
- Deutsche Bank Americas Foundation
- Charles Hayden Foundation
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- Lone Pine Foundation
- NBCUniversal Foundation
- New York Community Trust
- Henry E. Niles Foundation
- Oak Foundation
- The PIMCO Foundation
- Robin Hood Foundation
- Silicon Alley Foundation
- The Shelter Hill Foundation
- Toyota USA Foundation
- Laura B. Vogler Foundation
- Wells Fargo Foundation
- Con Edison
- Deutsche Bank
- Goldman Sachs & Co.
- ICAP Americas
- McKinsey & Company
- TD Bank
- New York City Council
- NYC Department of Education
- NYC Department of Information Technology and Telecommunications
- Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer
- NYC Council Member Rev. Fernando Cabrera
- NYC Council Member Margaret Chin
- NYC Council Member Inez Dickens
- NYC Council Member Mathieu Eugene
- NYC Council Member Julissa Ferreras
- NYC Council Member Vanessa Gibson
- NYC Council Member Mark Levine
- NYC Council Member Melissa Mark-Viverito
- NYC Council Member Darlene Mealy
- NYC Council Member Rosie Mendez
- NYC Council Member Annabel Palma
- NYC Council Member Donovan Richards, Jr.
- NYC Council Member Debi Rose
- NYC Council Member Helen Rosenthal
- NYC Council Member Ritchie Torres
- U.S. Department of Commerce
If you live in or around the New York City region, you can support our work by volunteering to help train families at PowerMyLearning’s Family Learning Workshops, conduct family outreach at Volunteer Call Banks, or refurbish donated computers for families at our warehouse. In New York City, PowerMyLearning partners with New York Cares to fill these volunteering needs. To sign up or learn more about our projects in New York City, click here.
To inquire about corporate or group opportunities, email NYC@PowerMyLearning.org.
“Our partnership with PowerMyLearning has enlightened the thinking of our teachers and has transformed the lives of our children. No longer is 21st century learning a far-off dream, out of reach to the students.”